Monday, November 26, 2012

Lab 7: Census

 Population Density, 2000.  I created this map using the US census data that was available online. It shows the population density throughout the United States at six different intervals.
 Percent Change  in total population from 1990 to 2000.  I created this map using the data online and importing it in excel form to show the percent change in the total US population within a 10 year span at five different classifying intervals.
Difference in total number of people from 1990 to 2000.  I created this map from the US census data online to show how the population changed over a 10 year span from 1990 to 2000 with the difference of the total number of people shown over five classifying intervals.  


Number of People in 2000.  This map shows the total number of people in the year 2000 over five different classifying intervals to be used as a reference for the other three maps all of which indicate a relationship to the population over a period of 10 years, from 1990 to 2000.


I created each of these maps using the US census data that was available online. From there I created an excel which formed a table for each category as my data and followed the instructions on the lab do create the following maps.  When I was finished I realized that my maps were exactly the same as the ones in the instructions because I had found the exact same data, by the time I realized this I was already done with each of the four maps having created them  using the same data.  I am hoping this is what were supposed to do.  I found this census map series to be the most interesting lab that we have conducted thus far because of its applicable nature.  We could physically take data and import into GIS thus forming the layers of information needed to display certain population values.  It made me have an even higher value for GIS and also realize how easily information can be manipulated. For instance when we changed the classifying values to form a more esthetically appealing map, although the proportions were equivalent, it made the entire map seem different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment